Accreditation Council for Art Therapy Education
Ron Hunt, DDS, MS, Chair
For questions, contact:
Dana Elmendorf, MA, ATR-BC, LPC, Coordinator
4875 Eisenhower Avenue, Suite 240
Alexandria, VA 22304
The Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) and the Accreditation Council for Art Therapy Education (ACATE) cooperate with the American Art Therapy Association (AATA) to establish, maintain and promote appropriate standards of quality for educational programs that meet or exceed the minimum standards.
The Accreditation Council for Art Therapy Education (ACATE) invites public comments on the Proposed CAAHEP Standards and Guidelines of Accreditation of Educational Programs in Art Therapy - 2023. As part of the CAAHEP Standards development process, ACATE recognizes the importance of securing comments from the various stakeholders in the art therapy profession.
Review the proposed CAAHEP Standards and Guidelines of Accreditation of Educational Programs in Art Therapy - 2023 here.
To provide comments on the proposed Standards, please follow the instructions in the survey tool being used to collect comments.
Please share this survey link with your colleagues in the art therapy community. Their input is sought, too. ACATE will collect comments until March 31, 2023, at 5:00 PM Eastern. ACATE will carefully consider comments provided. Further proposed revisions are expected prior to submission for CAAHEP review. Thank you for your input into the CAAHEP Standards review process.
CURRENT ART THERAPY PROGRAM STUDENTS: Have you been hearing about the transition of Art Therapy program from being approved to being accredited and have questions? Review this PAMPHLET on these import changes occurring to understand this time of transition.
CAAHEP accreditation attests to the quality of an educational program that prepares for entry into the art therapy profession.
Council Member Roster (PDF)
ACATE is looking to fill two positions on the Council. Please see: ACATE Council Position Openings - accepting applications
Art Therapy programs interested in achieving CAAHEP accreditation must review the following documents to understand what is required before beginning the process:
1) Standards and Guidelines for the Accreditation of Educational Programs in Art Therapy
2) Initial Self-Study Report Handbook
3) Initial Self-Study Report Template*
* To be eligible to submit a full Initial Self-Study Report (ISSR) for accreditation review, programs must have at least one graduating class and have provided graduate-level instruction in art therapy on a continuous basis for at least three academic years. Programs may, however, submit a preliminary Request for Accreditation Services (RAS) at the end of the second academic year of instruction as long as they have achieved one graduating class by that time.
Once these materials are reviewed, to begin the accreditation process complete the Request for Accreditation Services Form (RAS) at the link below:
1. Standards and Guidelines for the Accreditation of Educational Programs in Art Therapy. (Approved Nov. 2016)
2. Initial Self-Study Report Handbook
3. Request for Accreditation Services Form
4. Initial Self-Study Report Template (Word)
6. Fillable Forms, charts and surveys
7. Site Evaluators are Coming! - A guide for Program Directors
8. Program Personnel Change Form (Word)
9. FAQ Sheet for Newly Accredited Programs
10. Guidance for Art Therapy Program Directors on Outcomes Standards
11. Change in Program Sponsorship- Substantive Change Report Form
12. Annual Report (2022) Portal Instructions - provided for example of annual processes once accredited. Related webinar and Word version of these materials may also be requested from ACATE.
13. ACATE Policies and Procedures Manual
14. Post-Graduate master's degrees also offered by art therapy programs
Upcoming Council Meetings : December 12, 2022. January 12, February 21, March 20, April 20, 2023.
Survey Templates Referenced in Self Study and Annual Report process:
Consider becoming an ACATE Site Visitor
Download Site Evaluator brochure
Download Site Evaluator application